Skip to main content

Summer Projects

Summers are great for relaxing and family time, but it is also great for working on BIG projects for next school year. Right now, I am spending my time reflecting on last school year and figuring out what I want to change for next year. I spend a lot of time on Pinterest, visiting other teacher's blogs, reading twitter (YES, twitter has many ideas for education) and reading education books. I now have a list of big projects for this school year (I am sure that you do too!) I believe that this is important whether you have been teaching one year, 5 years, or 20 years. We can ALWAYS improve.

Some of my big projects right now are:

  • Classroom Library- Organizing my library so students can easily access books from my library. I have tried a few approaches, but still searching for an effective one. Recently, I read about a teacher who uses paint sticks to help students. Each student has a paint stick with the Secret Agent Number on it. Whenever they take a book, they place the paint stick in the bin that they took the book from. I am thinking about trying this next year. So, I am visiting places like Home Depot and other stores to see if I can get a class set. I think that this may solve my problem. Oh and did I tell you about the Literacy leveler application that levels books for you! I downloaded that app for free and it gives you an idea of the levels for books. I hope to figure out a system for leveling books as well so students know when books are a good fit or not! There's a lot to do in my little library, but I think I may have some solutions to my problems.
  • Getting rid of all the EXTRA stuff- Our principal recently went to a conference about making classrooms and office spaces clutter free. LESS CLUTTER is good for students. It is my hope to create less clutter this school year. I am beginning by going from a four drawer filing cabinet to a two door filing cabinet. That's my project for next week. I hope to get rid of EVERYTHING that I did not touch last year. Besides, I have mostly electronic copies now anyways. 
  • Little Classroom Projects- As you may know, I have a beach theme in my classroom. My students really have embraced that theme the past two years so I hope to continue the theme next year. In fact, many people at our school LOVES Farrington Bay so it's here to stay! I want to continue to make the classroom more and more like a beach/Island, so I am searching the Dollar Store, Target and others for chairs and other things to add to my theme! Did I tell you that the Dollar Store is my favorite store? Yes, it is! I make frequent visits. You should too! I will put pictures up soon for you to see my classroom. Ask me about anything that you like because chances are I probably made it myself and I can share it with you! 
  • Open House- I am getting ready for Open House right now. Yes, I know it seems early, but this is one thing that you DO NOT want to worry about during teacher workshop week. I have all my files pulled and created some new ones too. I am going to get copies ready and begin organizing folders for students. This will allow more time for me to prepare for the arrival of my awesome students or should I say, surfers! 
This is all that I am working on right now. I will try to provide pictures as I get ready for the school year so that you can get some ideas as well. I hope this is helpful for you as you begin your preparations for school too!

Hope that you are enjoying your summer!  Don't worry, I am not only working, I am having a great summer filled with LOTS of trips. Watch for a next blog post soon!

Have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adjective Garden

Yesterday, we made an adjective garden. We are learning about adjectives and plants so it was a fun learning experience. Together, we brainstormed as many adjectives about a plant and the made a plant. We knew a lot of adjectives about plants! 

wild tuday

Blogger of the Day: Alli Today we learned about the Civil Rights and cultures. Our favorite thing was being together. Our learning target was I can describe the relationship between a series of historical events. In gym, we were bowling. Ryan was surfer of the week. Also, we are reading Wonder. Thank you for reading!

The 3 Rs

Say what?  Someone asked me a few days ago if I knew what the 3Rs meant? Quickly, I began thinking of 3 different, education-related words that began with R. Obviously, relationships would be one, but I couldn't think of any other ones. About 30 seconds went by, and then I heard, "relationships, relationships, relationships." These are the 3Rs, and relationships should be at the forefront of every educators' minds as we move closer to the start of the school year. Teachers have a unique job, where they get to establish brand-new relationships every year. This unique job presents challenges, but a challenge that all teachers must take on in order to have a successful school year. We all know that a strong student-teacher relationship will go a long way to having a successful school year with each child. Therefore, we need to make sure that we focus on building those relationships. Teachers also need to build relationships with their colleagues too. We have all he