Skip to main content

BUILD changed to M.A.T.H

So, I decided to change the math stations from BUILD to MATH. Last year, my students enjoyed BUILD, but we never used the D section of our board as a choice because we did our daily workbook pages together. However, this year, I am going to try MATH. It will give students four (4) choices. I plan on having 3 rounds daily. During the rounds, I will work with small guided math groups.

Here is the board for me to write our daily activities for each choice.
  • M- Math with Someone- Students can choose to play buddy games that I will assign based on the skill that we are learning. 
  • A- Adventure Math- Students will be able to complete their daily math journal problem of the day and explore math picture books or math videos via youtube.com. 
  • T- Technology Math- Students will have daily activities to be completed on the iPads. They will be able to access IXL, use different math applications, create videos to explain different concepts and much more! I am excited to incorporate some new activities using technology this year.
  • H- Hands- On Math- Students will complete different activities using manipulatives. The activities will be aligned with the skill. 
Here is how my math block will look. It will last for about an hour every day.
  1. Whole Group Lesson 10-15 minutes
  2. Whole Group Guided Work- 10 minutes 
    1. Work with Students as needed 
  3. Round 1- Students make choices - 10 minutes 
    1. Small Group Work 
  4. Mini-Lesson to Review Lesson- 5 minutes 
  5. Round 2- 10 minutes 
    1. Small Group Work 
  6. Mini-Lesson (Introduce Game/Review/Counting Practice)- 5 minutes 
  7. Round 3- 10 minutes 
    1. Small Group Work 
  8. Wrap-Up - Sharing 2-3 minutes
I am excited to try this! Some days, we will not be able to get in 3 rounds as this will depend on the how much content is connected on the lesson. That's okay though, 3 rounds are not needed everyday. Sometimes, I will have to introduce games or activities, so that might take away from our actual math time. I might start introducing math games during our morning meetings. We will see! But, I think that this structure will be great for my students this year! At the end, students will be able to share work from MATH time with their classmates. I want my students to share, share, share this year!

Here is where I will keep the activities for each choice. I got these baskets from the Dollar Store and they are perfect for what I am trying to do. I will have all my math manipulatives in the cubbies that the baskets are sitting on. It will be easy to access for my students and of course, they fit the beach theme at Farrington Bay!

Check back later. I will be posting a lot about my math block this year because I will be doing a lot of work to make sure that I meet the needs of all the mathematicians in my classroom! MATH is going to be so much fun!

Mr. Farrington




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adjective Garden

Yesterday, we made an adjective garden. We are learning about adjectives and plants so it was a fun learning experience. Together, we brainstormed as many adjectives about a plant and the made a plant. We knew a lot of adjectives about plants! 

wild tuday

Blogger of the Day: Alli Today we learned about the Civil Rights and cultures. Our favorite thing was being together. Our learning target was I can describe the relationship between a series of historical events. In gym, we were bowling. Ryan was surfer of the week. Also, we are reading Wonder. Thank you for reading!

The 3 Rs

Say what?  Someone asked me a few days ago if I knew what the 3Rs meant? Quickly, I began thinking of 3 different, education-related words that began with R. Obviously, relationships would be one, but I couldn't think of any other ones. About 30 seconds went by, and then I heard, "relationships, relationships, relationships." These are the 3Rs, and relationships should be at the forefront of every educators' minds as we move closer to the start of the school year. Teachers have a unique job, where they get to establish brand-new relationships every year. This unique job presents challenges, but a challenge that all teachers must take on in order to have a successful school year. We all know that a strong student-teacher relationship will go a long way to having a successful school year with each child. Therefore, we need to make sure that we focus on building those relationships. Teachers also need to build relationships with their colleagues too. We have all he